Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Banking Law
- Business and Commercial Law
- Complex Commercial Litigation and Class Actions
- Creditor-Side Bankruptcy and Creditor’s Rights
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certification & Specialties
- Creditors Rights Specialist
- American Board of Certification
- North Dakota, 1978
- Minnesota, 1978
- S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1980
- S. District Court District of North Dakota, 1978
- S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1978
Honors and Awards
- First appeared in Best Lawyers in America in 1993, and has continued to be selected by his peers for inclusion for over 20 years, including the 2017 edition. Selected for work in the practice areas of Arbitration, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Banking and Finance, and Litigation – Bankruptcy. Selected as Best Lawyers’ 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in Fargo for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
- Ranked in the Chambers and Partners 2015 publication of Chambers Guide USA for Bankruptcy/Restructuring – Band 1.
- Selected for inclusion to the 2016 Great Plains Super Lawyers list.
- Bachelor of Arts – North Dakota State University (1974)
- University of North Dakota School of Law (1978)
- First International Bank
- Sargent County Bank
- CIT Group
- Farmers State Bank, Elgin, North Dakota
- Dacotah Bank
- First State Bank, Gackle, North Dakota
- Citizens State Bank, Enderlin, North Dakota
- Prudential Insurance Company
- Heartland State Bank of Edgeley
- Union Bank, Hazen, North Dakota
- Bell State Bank and Trust
- AXA Equitable Agrifinance
- Dakota Heritage Bank
- First State Bank, LaMoure
- American Federal Bank
- Alerus Financial
- Caterpillar Financial Services
- National Arbitration Forum
- Agricultural Finance, Inc.
- Western State Bank
- Educational Credit Management Corporation
- Rabo Agrifinance, Inc.
- Bank of North Dakota
- Crop Production Services
- Northwestern Bank
- Pifers Auction & Realty
- Brandt v. Somerville, 692 N.W.2d 144, 2005 ND 35 (North Dakota 2005)
- Overboe v. Farm Credit Services of Fargo, 623 N.W.2d 372, 2001 (North Dakota 2001)
- Eggl v. Fleetguard, inc., 583 N.W.2d 812, 1998 ND 166 (North Dakota 1998)
- CIT Group / Equipment Financing, Inc. v. Travelers Ins. Co., 504 N.W.2d 565 (North Dakota 1993)
- Numerous works for the State Bar Association of North Dakota, North Dakota Independent Community Bankers, North Dakota Credit Union League, Lorman, National Business Institute, and others to present continuing legal education programs and other educational programs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar Association of North Dakota – Member (1978–Present), former chairman of its Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Member, Bankruptcy Section (1978–Present)
- North Dakota State University Bison Arts Board- Board Member (2013–Present)
- Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra (1986-Present) – Board Member (1986-1993), serving one year as President
- Fargo-Moorhead Opera Co – Board Member (2007–2013)
- American Bankruptcy Institute – Member
- Commercial Law League of America – Member
- North Dakota Chapter of The Nature Conservancy – Former Member
- Eugene Smestad, Farm Credit Services of Fargo
- Dick Solberg, Bell State Bank & Trust
If you would like to work with Roger, contact him today.
Roger is licensed to practice in North Dakota and Minnesota. He currently serves the communities of Fargo, Moorhead, Grand Forks, Valley City, Jamestown, Minot, Bismarck, Alexandria, Wahpeton, Cooperstown, Glyndon, and Dilworth.