Kasey is a Shareholder at Serkland Law Firm. He is a trial attorney but also devotes his practice to advising businesses, financial institutions, and corporate clients. He has tried cases before judges, juries, and administrative bodies. Kasey has argued cases before the North Dakota Supreme Court and administrative appeals to the district courts. His practice areas include civil litigation, business and commercial litigation, corporate litigation, employment litigation, insurance defense, shareholder disputes, creditor’s rights and collections, professional ethics defense, real estate, lien enforcement and foreclosures, and a variety of other areas.
Kasey is a 2009 graduate of the University of North Dakota School of Law, where he graduated with distinction. While in law school, Kasey served on the Moot Court Board, wrote for the North Dakota Law Review, and was a Region 12 champion in a trial competition hosted annually by the American College of Trial Lawyers. Kasey and his team advanced to the National Trial Competition hosted by the Texas Young Lawyers Association and co-sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers. After law school, Kasey served as a judicial law clerk for the East Central Judicial District in Fargo, North Dakota. Kasey joined the Serkland Law Firm in 2010.
He is a member of the State Bar Association of North Dakota, State Bar Association of Minnesota, Cass County Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
In his spare time, Kasey enjoys spending time with his family, including his wife, Anna, their three children, and their Great Dane. He also enjoys playing golf, reading, playing guitar, and listening to music.
- Juris Doctor with Distinction – University of North Dakota School of Law (2009)
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice – cum laude – Jamestown College (2005)
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
Areas of Practice
- Panther Pressure Testers, Inc. v. Szostak, 2023 ND 27, 985 N.W.2d 649
- Ordahl, LLC v. Lykken, 2022 ND 193, 981 N.W.2d 901
- AE2S Construction, LLC v. Hellervik Oilfield Technologies, LLC, Case No. 20200180
- Albrecht v. Albrecht, 2020 ND 105, 942 N.W.2d 875
- Estate of Albrecht, 2020 ND 27, 938 N.W.2d 151
- Heartland State Bank v. Larson, 2019 ND 129, 927 N.W.2d 407
- Miller v. N.D. State Bd. of Registration for Prof. Engineers and Land Surveyors, 2018 ND 274, 920 N.W.2d 896
- Paustian v. N.D. State Bd. of Registration for Prof. Engineers and Land Surveyors, 2018 ND 274, 920 N.W.2d 896
- Estate of Albrecht, 2018 ND 67, 908 N.W.2d 135
- Zavadil v. Rud, 2014 ND 38, 842 N.W.2d 902
- The Union Bank v. Tarnavsky, 2011 ND 198, 806 N.W.2d 438
Honors and Awards
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Business Litigation 2020
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation 2017-2019
- Order of Barristers (2009)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar Association of North Dakota – Ethics Committee
- State Bar Association of North Dakota – Annual Meeting Planning Committee Member (2014)
- North Dakota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Cass County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Criminal Law—Search and Seizure: The North Dakota Supreme Court Adopts a Four-Prong Test to Determine Whether Miranda Warnings are Sufficient to Cure a Fourth Amendment Violation, 85 D. L. Rev. 215 (2009).
If you would like to work with Kasey, please contact him today.