Jim Maring obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of St. Thomas School of Law in 2005 and his Master of Laws (LLM) in Taxation from the University of Denver in 2006. Jim has been an attorney at the Serkland Law Firm since 2014, and his areas of expertise include tax law, business and commercial law, estate planning and probate, and real estate law. As part of Jim’s tax practice he represents clients with tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as well as state taxing authorities. Jim was appointed as the Honorary Consul for Norway in North Dakota in 2023.
Jim is a member of the Red River Estate Planning Counsel, Kiwanis of Fargo, and was a past member of the board of trustees for the non-profit organization Jeremiah Program.
Areas of Practice
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. Tax Court
- Master of Laws in Taxation – University of Denver (2006)
- Juris Doctor – University of St. Thomas School of Law (2005)
- Bachelor of Science in Finance – Arizona State University (2000)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- State Bar of Arizona
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kiwanis of Fargo
- Red River Estate Planning Counsel
If you would like to work with Jim, contact him today.