Peter Zuger is a 2008 graduate of the University of North Dakota School of Law, where he graduated with distinction. While in law school, Peter was a member of the Board of Editors for the North Dakota Law Review, won UND’s Moot Court and Mock Trial competitions, and was a semi-finalist in a regional trial competition hosted by the American College of Trial Lawyers. After law school, Peter served as a law clerk for the South Central Judicial District in Bismarck, North Dakota. Peter joined the Serkland Law Firm in 2009 and has been a shareholder since 2016.
Peter is a trial lawyer and has extensive trial experience. He has tried numerous cases before judges, juries, the lawyer disciplinary hearing panel, and private arbitrators. In Lodholtz v. Continental Resources, Inc., Civil No. 4:15-CV-116, Peter helped his clients obtain an $8,496,000 jury verdict.
Peter has also argued cases before the North Dakota Supreme Court, the Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. In In re Juve, 761 F.3d 847 (8th Cir. 2014), after multiple appeals, Peter successfully argued for a reinstatement of the trial court’s $350,000 damages award.
Peter is a past chair of the North Dakota Pattern Jury Instruction Commission and current member of the North Dakota Pattern Jury Instruction Commission. He serves alongside other trial judges and trial attorneys in drafting pattern jury instructions for attorneys to use in North Dakota jury trials. He has also been invited by the State Bar Association of North Dakota to lecture on lawyer disciplinary issues. Peter’s practice areas include commercial litigation, corporate litigation, professional malpractice defense litigation, products liability defense litigation, insurance defense litigation, plaintiff’s personal injury litigation, employment litigation, construction litigation, and a variety of other litigation areas.
- University of North Dakota School of Law, JD, 2008, with Distinction
- University of Mary, B.S. in Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2003, Cum Laude
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of North Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- In re Juve, 761 F.3d 847 (8th Cir.2014)
- Danuser v. IDA Mktg. Corp., 2013 ND 196
- In re Juve, 490 B.R. 359 (B.A.P. 8th Cir. 2013)
- Knudson v. Kyllo, 2013 ND 102, 831 N.W.2d 763
- Schmitt v. MeritCare Health Sys., 2013 ND 136, 834 N.W.2d 627
- In re Juve, 479 B.R. 848 (Bankr. D. Minn. 2012)
- In re Juve, 455 B.R. 890 (B.A.P. 8th Cir. 2011)
- Quality Bank v. Cavett, 2010 ND 183, 788 N.W.2d 679
- Yahna v. Altru Health System, 2015 ND 275, 871 N.W.2d 580
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as Up and Coming in Litigation: General Commercial in Chambers USA, 2017
- Recognized as a Rising Star in Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Order of the Barristers
- Past Chair of the North Dakota Pattern Jury Instruction Commission
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Dakota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Cass County Bar Association
- Pattern Jury Instruction Commission
- Paralegal Advisory Board for Minnesota State University Moorhead
- University of North Dakota School of Law’s External Moot Court Team coach in 2012
- University of North Dakota School of Law’s Trial Team coach in 2009
- Peter W. Zuger, North Dakota, in COVENANTS AGAINST COMPETITION IN FRANCHISE AGREEMENTS, ABA Forum on Franchising, at 433-38 (Michael R. Gray and Natalma M. McKnew, eds., 3d ed. 2012).
- Recent Disciplinary Cases & Trending Issues (August 18, 2016)
- Panelist at the SBAND Annual Meeting on Navigating the Disciplinary Process: What Members of the Bar Need to Know (June 16, 2016)
- Applying the Rules of Evidence: What Every Attorney Needs to Know — Determining Admissibility (May 16, 2014)
- Applying the Rules of Evidence: What Every Attorney Needs to Know — Ethics (May 16, 2014)