Jack Marcil joined Serkland Law Firm as a trial attorney in 1969 after serving one year as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of North Dakota.
Areas of Practice
Certifications & Specialties
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Qualified Neutral Arbitrator and Mediator, Minnesota and North Dakota
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Fargo Board of Education
- Sanford Health
- Catholic Heath Initiatives
- Ali v. Dakota Clinic, 582 N.W.2d 653 (N.D. 1998)
- Beilke v. Coryell, 524 N.W.2d 607 (N.D. 1994)
- All Seasons Water Users Ass’n, Inc. v. Northern Imp. Co., 399 N.W.2d 278 (N.D. 1987)
- Andrews v. O’Hearn, 387 N.W.2d 716 (N.D. 1986)
- Fargo Ed. Ass’n v. Paulsen, 239 N.W.2d 842 (N.D. 1976)
- Juris Doctor – University of North Dakota School of Law (1968)
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science – University of North Dakota (1963)
Honors and Awards
- First appeared in Best Lawyers in America in 1987, and has continued to be selected by his peers for inclusion for 30 years, including the 2017 edition.
- Recipient of the 2016 “Richard S. Arnold Award for Distinguished Service and Lifetime Achievement” by the Association of the Bar for the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2007 – 2016.
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers’ identified Mr. Marcil as being among the top litigators in North Dakota.
- Selected to North Dakota “Top 5” list for 2012 Great Plains Super Lawyers.
- Recipient of the 2007 State Bar of North Dakota Distinguished Service Award.
- Law Dragon Magazine recognized Mr. Marcil in the category of arbitration and mediation as among the top 500 judges or arbitrators in the country in 2006.
- Veteran – United States Army (Active Duty 1963–1965)
- North Dakota Law Review “Avoiding Pitfalls: Common Reasons for Mediation Failures and Solutions for Success”, Vol. 84, No.3, 2008.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators Member (Invitation Only) 2007–Present
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, 1987–Present Member (Invitation Only)
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers, 1984–Present Member (Invitation Only)
- Certified by the International Mediation Institute, 2009–Present
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- North Dakota State Bar Foundation, 1992–1996 President
- State Bar Association of North Dakota, 1989–1990 President
- Cass County Bar Association, 1983–1984 President
- North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, 1981–1982 President
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- YMCA Member
- Fargo Country Club Member
If you are interested in working with Jack, contact him today.