Mr. Marcil joined the firm in 1969 after serving one year as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of North Dakota. Mr. Marcil has been a trial lawyer since that time. Mr. Marcil is a past president of the Cass County Bar Association and the State Bar Association of North Dakota. He has been certified as a Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1980. He is a Qualified Neutral Arbitrator and Mediator in both Minnesota and North Dakota. He has spoken at many seminars on the subject of arbitration and mediation. His areas of practice are litigation dealing with personal injury, wrongful death claims, the defense of medical and legal malpractice, school board matters, construction and commercial disputes.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Negligence and Personal Injury
- Professional Disciplinary Action Defense
- Professional Malpractice Defense
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Qualified Neutral Arbitrator and Mediator, Minnesota and North Dakota
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota
- U.S. Federal Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of North Dakota School of Law, Grand Forks, North Dakota, 1968
- University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota, 1963
Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Science
- Ali v. Dakota Clinic, 145, 582 N.W.2d 653 (N.D. 1998)
- Beilke v. Coryell, 524 N.W.2d 607 (N.D. 1994)
- All Seasons Water Users Ass'n, Inc. v. Northern Imp. Co., 399 N.W.2d 278 (N.D. 1987)
- Andrews v. O'Hearn, 387 N.W.2d 716 (N.D. 1986)
- Fargo Ed. Ass'n v. Paulsen, 239 N.W.2d 842 (N.D. 1976)
- Fargo Board of Education
- Sanford Health
- Catholic Heath Initiatives
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA America's Leading Business Lawyers' identified Mr. Marcil as being among the top litigators in North Dakota.
- First appeared in Best Lawyers in America in 1987, and has continued to be selected by his peers for inclusion for over 25 years, including the 2016 edition.
- Included in 2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers list.
- Selected to North Dakota “Top 5” list for 2012 Great Plains Super Lawyers.
- Law Dragon Magazine recognized Mr. Marcil in the category of arbitration and mediation as among the top 500 judges or arbitrators in the country in 2006.
- Veteran - United States Army (Active Duty 1963–1965)
- Recipient of the 2007 State Bar of North Dakota Distinguished Service Award.
- North Dakota Law Review “Avoiding Pitfalls: Common Reasons for Mediation Failures and Solutions for Success”, Vol. 84, No.3, 2008.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators
Member (Invitation Only) 2007–Present
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, 1987–Present
Member (Invitation Only)
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers, 1984–Present
Member (Invitation Only)
- Certified by the International Mediation Institute, 2009–Present
- State Bar Association of North Dakota, 1989–1990
- North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, 1981–1982
- Cass County Bar Association, 1983–1984
- North Dakota State Bar Foundation, 1992–1996
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Fargo Country Club
Licensed to practice in North Dakota and Minnesota, and serving the communities of Fargo, Moorhead, Grand Forks, Valley City, Jamestown, Minot, Bismarck, Alexandria, Wahpeton, Cooperstown, Glyndon, and Dilworth.