As an attorney at Serkland Law Firm, my practice is focused on civil trial matters, including aviation law, commercial law, contracts, construction, injury law, negligence claims, trade secret, tax disputes, professional negligence defense and education law. I strive to be a zealous advocate, hard-working, collaborative and grateful. These core values drive me to provide the best possible outcomes for my clients.
There is nothing I like better than standing up in a courtroom and zealously advocating for my clients. This is one of my core values-zealous advocacy. I tend to think well on my feet, and this helps me adapt to changes while in court when it comes to presenting a great case for my clients.
I also have a great team behind me. We work together to reach the best possible outcome for our clients given their circumstances. Sometimes the best solution is resolution and other times it is litigation. Whatever the circumstances, I aggressively advocate the best position for my clients.
Areas of Practice
- Administrative Actions
- Aviation Law and Transactions
- Business Law
- Class Actions
- Construction Law
- Commercial Litigation including such things as contracts, trade secrets, non-compete clauses, non-dsclosure agreements, banking litigation, oil and gas claims, mineral interests claims
- Insurance Litigation
- Negligence and Personal Injury
- Professional Disciplinary Action Defense
- Professional Negligence Defense and Administrative Claims
- School and Education Law, including such things as advising school districts, teachers and parents on issues surrounding education, policy creation, court appearances, enforcement of school and district rights, legal and administrative claims, and custody and parental rights claims
- Subrogation Claims, meaning the enforcement of rights of a third-party
- Third-party Claims
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Juris Doctor – University of North Dakota School of Law (2001), with Distinction
- Bachelor of Arts with Magna Cum Laude – University of North Dakota ( 1998)
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion to the Great Plains Super Lawyers list 2013 – present.
- Selected as a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation 2013-2017.
- Recognized by Chambers USA in General Commercial Litigation 2008-2018.
- Designated as AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell in 2013.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Law Institute (Restatement of Laws)
- State Bar Association of North Dakota – President 2015-2016
- American Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Cass County Bar Association
- North Dakota Association for Justice
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association
- Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association
- International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Aviation and Space Committee of the American Bar Association
- Kathryn R.L. Rand, Joseph A. Wetch, Hon. Gail Hagerty, & Tony J. Weiler, The Outstate Practitioner: Rural Justice in North Dakota, 42 Mitchell Hamline L. Rev. 1027 (2016).
- Joseph A. Wetch, Constitutional Law-First Amendment-Commercial Speech: Broadcasters come up all 7s: Advertising of Casinos and Gambling, Greater New Orleans Broadcasters Association v. United States, 76 N.D. L. Rev. 161 (2000).
If you would like to work with Joseph, contact him today.